Making the custard is the trickiest part of making this classic dessert, but if you stand by the pot until it’s done, whisking gently the entire time—especially along the edges of the pot, where the custard will start to set first—you’ll have no problems. Strain the custard to ensure it’s creamy and even throughout, then whisk in melted bittersweet chocolate to balance out the sweetness. Once cool, fold in whipped cream to achieve that ethereal, lighter-than-air texture that never disappoints. Since it needs at least six hours to set up—and can be made up to 24 hours in advance—it's the perfect make-ahead dessert for you next dinner party.
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- Garnish: lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Special Equipment
- an instant-read thermometer
- Heat 3/4 cup cream in a 1-quart heavy saucepan until hot. Whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined well, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Transfer mixture to saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until it registers 160°F on thermometer. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and stir in vanilla.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in a glass bowl in a microwave at 50 percent power 3 to 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Whisk custard into chocolate until smooth, then cool.
- Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Whisk one fourth of cream into chocolate custard to lighten, then fold in remaining cream gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon mousse into 8 (6-ounce) stemmed glasses or ramekins and chill, covered, at least 6 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.
Menus & Tags
This Recipe is Featured In:
Tags:ChocolateAmericanFrenchDessertFreeze/ChillWinterChillGourmetKidney FriendlyVegetarianPescatarianWheat/Gluten-FreePeanut FreeTree Nut FreeSoy FreeKosherEaster